Current:Home > FinanceLas Vegas hotel workers union reaches tentative deal with Caesars, but threat of strike still looms -Capitatum
Las Vegas hotel workers union reaches tentative deal with Caesars, but threat of strike still looms
Ethermac Exchange View
Date:2025-04-06 17:31:16
LAS VEGAS (AP) — The labor union representing tens of thousands of Las Vegas hospitality workers announced early Wednesday that it had reached a tentative deal with casino giant Caesars Entertainment, a major breakthrough that could help avert an unprecedented strike at more than a dozen hotel-casinos on the Las Vegas Strip.
The announcement came after several months of tense negotiations and just days before the Culinary Workers Union’s deadline for a strike. The union said in a post on X, formerly known as Twitter, that the agreement toward a 5-year contract for about 10,000 workers came after 20-straight hours of negotiations.
A walkout could still happen if deals aren’t reached by 5 a.m. Friday with MGM Resorts International and Wynn Resorts. But the tentative agreement with Caesars could provide the momentum needed for the Culinary Union to win new 5-year contracts for all 35,000 of its members who have been working under expired contracts at 18 properties owned or operated by the casino companies.
Negotiations with MGM Resorts are scheduled for Wednesday and Wynn Resorts on Thursday.
Caesars did not immediately comment on the tentative agreement, but CEO Thomas Reeg said in a recent earnings call, “When we reach an agreement on the contract, it’s going to be the largest increase that our employees have seen in the four decades since we started interacting with the Culinary Union.”
Bethany Khan, a spokesperson for the union, said terms of a deal with Caesars would be pending approval from the union’s rank and file and would be made public once approved.
A strike would cut to the heart of the city’s economic backbone and significantly disrupt operations at some of the most recognizable Las Vegas hotel-casinos as they prepare to host hundreds of thousands of people for next week’s Formula 1 debut on the Strip.
It would be the latest in a series of high-profile actions around the country in what has been a big year for labor unions, including walkouts in Hollywood and UPS’ contentious negotiations that threatened to disrupt the nation’s supply chain. It would also follow hospitality workers walking off the job last month at Detroit’s three casinos, including MGM Grand Detroit.
“No matter if you’re auto workers, if you’re teachers, if you’re writers, if you’re screenwriters, the whole concept is we just want a fair way of making a living,” said Leslie Lilla, a cocktail server at the Bellagio. “We want to provide for our families, so that is coming across loud and clear in America.”
The race course for the inaugural Las Vegas Grand Prix will feature sweeping views of many of the casinos at risk of walkouts if they don’t strike deals with the union before Friday morning. That includes the Bellagio, Paris Las Vegas and MGM Grand.
The other properties that could be impacted by a strike are the Wynn and Encore resorts, as well as MGM Resorts International’s Aria, Excalibur, Luxor, Mandalay Bay, New York-New York and Park MGM.
The hospitality workers say they are willing to strike for as long as it takes to get fair contracts — from the housekeepers and utility porters who work behind the scenes to keep the Strip’s mega-resorts humming, to the bartenders and cocktail servers who provide the customer service that has helped make Las Vegas famous.
“We really don’t want to do this, but if we have to, we will,” Leain Vashion, a bell captain at Paris Las Vegas, said earlier Tuesday during a break in negotiations with Caesars. “We will go on strike for our families, for health care, for a pension and for dignity in the workplace.”
Bargaining has been underway since April over pay, benefits, job security and working conditions, but negotiations have ramped up in recent months after an overwhelming majority of union members voted in September to authorize a strike.
The vote was followed by large-scale rallies on the Strip, including one last month that ended with the arrests of 58 workers who sat in the street and halted rush-hour traffic on one of the most recognizable stretches of the Strip. The workers called it a show of force ahead of any potential strike.
As that rally began, two visitors from Missouri, Cindy Hiatt and Michelle Shirley, told The Associated Press they won’t return to Las Vegas again during any strike by hotel workers.
“The hotels are going to have to realize that they’re not going to have people wanting to come to Vegas without these workers,” Hiatt said.
Members currently receive health insurance and earn about $26 hourly, including benefits, Khan said. The union hasn’t revealed what it has been seeking in pay raises because, Khan said, “we do not negotiate in public,” but the union has said it is asking for the largest wage increases ever negotiated in its history.
The workers have also said they want better job security amid advancements in technology, as well as stronger security protections, including more safety buttons on casino floors.
veryGood! (9)
Related
- Apple iOS 18.2: What to know about top features, including Genmoji, AI updates
- Chrissy Teigen and John Legend welcome 4th child via surrogate
- Conservationists Go Funny With Online Videos
- As low-nicotine cigarettes hit the market, anti-smoking groups press for wider standard
- Trump wants to turn the clock on daylight saving time
- That ’70s Show Alum Danny Masterson Found Guilty of Rape
- Microscopic Louis Vuitton knockoff bag narrow enough to pass through the eye of a needle sells for more than $63,000
- Anheuser-Busch CEO Brendan Whitworth says financial assistance is being sent to wholesalers, beer distributors impacted by boycott backlash
- California DMV apologizes for license plate that some say mocks Oct. 7 attack on Israel
- Rebuilding After the Hurricanes: These Solar Homes Use Almost No Energy
Ranking
- Buckingham Palace staff under investigation for 'bar brawl'
- Get These $118 Lululemon Flared Pants for $58, a $54 Tank Top for $19, $138 Dress for $54, and More
- Produce to the People
- Kim Kardashian Teases Potential New Romance With Fred in Kardashians Teaser
- Toyota to invest $922 million to build a new paint facility at its Kentucky complex
- Tax Bill Impact: What Happens to Renewable Energy?
- Allow Homicide for the Holidays' Horrifying New Trailer to Scare You Stiff This Summer
- Donald Trump sues E. Jean Carroll for defamation after being found liable for sexually abusing her
Recommendation
Selena Gomez engaged to Benny Blanco after 1 year together: 'Forever begins now'
Developing Countries Weather Global Warming, Cold Shoulders
Humpback Chub ‘Alien Abductions’ Help Frame the Future of the Colorado River
TVA Votes to Close 2 Coal Plants, Despite Political Pressure from Trump and Kentucky GOP
Paula Abdul settles lawsuit with former 'So You Think You Can Dance' co
Megan Fox and Machine Gun Kelly Prove Their Twin Flame Is Burning Bright During London Outing
Dancing with the Stars Pros Daniella Karagach and Pasha Pashkov Welcome First Baby
Canada’s Tar Sands Province Elects a Combative New Leader Promising Oil & Pipeline Revival